Explore New and Exciting Books

Sunday 19 May 2013

Thank you Ray Bradbury...

If ever there was a Master of writing (during my life thus far), Ray Bradbury would win the award. June 5th, will mark a year of his passing, and though I am saddened new words and stories will not come from his pen, I am delighted by the multitude of pure treasures he left for I, You, and coming generations to discover.

Recently, I picked up Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing, and I find it fitting to discuss his inspiring words here. Any writer needs encouragement from time to time. If you write, you know it is a lonely business. A lonely business filled with the chatter of many characters, each urging you to tell their story. As a writer, we sometimes feel as though there is a need to create something new, something never told, but the genius behind Bradbury's work is how effortlessly he knew the observations of daily human life and experience was what readers wanted to hear. Whether on Mars, the future world of Earth, or the long ago days of Waukegan, Illinois--Bradbury achieved the ability to make readers comprehend human longing, desire, fear, and wonder.

Within the books essays to writers, I found it fitting Bradbury urges those trying to perfect their skills of the pen to remember youth. Remember the days of fascination and don't let anyone tell you are wrong in what you love. His essay, "On the Shoulder of Giants," reiterates this concept by speaking of how youth, the child, will continually be pushing the boundaries of literature.

"For the first time in history of art and teaching, the children have become the teachers." (p.98)

The young will be pushing the adult to discover new concepts, and through their rebellion, the adults mind will be saved and shown new light. Bradbury was discussing how recently teachers and librarians
finally accepted the genre of fantasy and science fiction to have substance. But I would argue, his concept works for all genres of literature. And I say thank you to Bradbury for always remembering the boy within. I thank him for always writing as a human being versus a scholar above others. Bradbury's mastery of writing still makes me think I need to try Dandelion Wine, and it makes me look at the merry-go-round in new light anytime I'm near a carnival. But it also makes me want to tell my stories of early morning canoe rides through the Logan marshes, moments of laughter on roof tops in a foreign country sipping Dandelion Mead, and most importantly the moments with family and the spontaneous laughter that comes from small memories spoken. Bradbury--I thank you and I shall always remember your words:

"Let us remain chidlike and not childish in our 20-20 vision, borrowing such telescopes, rockets, or magic carpets as may be needed to hurry us along to miracles of physics as well as dream." (p.106)

Bradbury, Ray. 1992: Zen in the Art of Writing: Batnam Edition: New York.

1 comment:

  1. "The young will be pushing the adult to discover new concepts, and through their rebellion, the adults mind will be saved and shown new light."

    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete