Explore New and Exciting Books

Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Ever Smart Mouthed Bartimaeus!!!

Bartimaeus 3-book boxed set (Bartimaeus Trilogy)
Sometimes, more than the story, a reader finds a character who pulls them to a book. Maybe for you it was Bilbo Baggins. Perhaps it was Ramona's quirky antics. Or, who knows, possibly you connected with Harry and his sublime way of always narrowly adverting disaster. For myself, I have fallen in love with many book characters over the years, but probably none so much as the always witty, straight-to-the-point, mischievous--yes--often smart mouthed, and looking for the escape, Bartimaeus.

Bartimaeus: The Ring of SolomonI had read the wonderful Bartimaeus Trilogy a few years ago and found I was not the only one intoxicated with the character. This summer I found myself craving the skillful demons games yet again. Thankfully, I found Jonathan Stroud had released a new novel on the character (The Ring of Solomon) and I began plowing through every line and footnote with relish. 

It may be the quality in which Stroud is able to merge high fantasy with historic details and mythology that draws me to his stories, or possibly his use of various character perspectives so you see the details from every side. But I always find myself waiting for the chapters in which Bartimaeus is the narrator. If I could ask Jonathan Stroud one thing, it would be who Bartimaeus is based upon? I have a feeling it is Stroud himself, for I have no idea how he could write a more honest and reflective character.  

If you are in the mood for a good laugh, a fun fantasy, a friend or foe, Bartimaeus is for you. Just make sure to not be fooled by one of his many disguises, and always, always remember: Don't skip the footnotes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment